Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Installing my EWS64XL

  1. #1
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    I've just bought an EWS64XL and I've been reading the manuals. Initially it didn't install under Windows (on two different machines) and I wondered if it was damaged. So reading around I have done a DOS installation on a 486 machine. This seems to work; the text tells me I have 6Mb of memory and I've managed to get rid of the various errors that came up. In the settings I had to select the interrupts as 5 and 9 etc rather than PnP.

    So assuming I can get it working under DOS, I'd like to get it working under Windows. However, in your installation instructions, you refer to two files; 64xlw95d and 64xlw95a. I haven't been able to locate 64xlw95d.

    Will it work as a midi only machine on a 486? I have a separate recording machine and don't need hard disk recording immediately.

    best,

    Ed.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Werner_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hi Ed,

    if you want to use your EWS64 XL under Windows you should always use latest driver/software from the Terratec FTP server ftp://ftp.terratec.net.
    Never use any driver/software from any Terratec EWS64 CD!!!

    On my homepage http://www.studio4all.de/start.html you'll find many hints to the EWS64 including help to install it under Windows 9x or W2k/XP.

    Regards
    Werner

  3. #3
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    Thanks; I'll consult your homepage!

    Ed.

  4. #4
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    Looks like the forum has gone a bit quiet now; it's a shame, because the EWS64 is still a great bit of kit even if it's a little old by PC standards.
    For those who read my last post, I was under a certain amount of stress with my EWS64; no sound, no drivers! However, I now have the card working under DOS, which means there is hope of getting a working sound system under Windows. I have it working with an FM driver from Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, and with a different driver I should be able to get the wavetable to work. This means I know that the hardware is OK, and so it should be a question of setting up the EEPROM.

    Well, thanks for listening. Looks like most of you have moved onto new cards!

    Ed.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Werner_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ed,

    unfortunately this forum went down at that time, when the link to it at the 'EWS Stress Control Panel' at http://www.ews64.com didn't work for a very long time :-(
    I think that most of the former users think that this forum doesn't exist any longer (like I did). Since a short time the mentioned link works again, but now most people are already gone :-(((
    It's a pity...

    About your EWS64:
    You should remove any DOS or 3rd-Party driver for this card if you want to get it running under Windows 98!

    Regards,
    Werner

  6. #6
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    I've set up my EWS64 in a 300MHz pentium and it works very well. A lot to figure out to begin with, but I now have a very good recording setup. Many thanks to Werner (does anyone else read this forum?

    Ed.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Werner_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Ed,

    there won't be many people reading this forum for the moment (I've mentioned the reason above).

    I just can hope, that this will change during the next months to 'reanimate' this forum.
    I'll try to do my best - please help me with your own postings and answers! We have to keep patient, because the reanimation of this forum will take several month, but please do your best!
    I'd would be a pity, if this forum would die finally :-(((

    Regards
    Werner

  8. #8
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    I have been using my EWS with Cubase VST 3.7 in a 300MHz pentium II for a while, and it's all working very nicely except... the audio tracks and the midi tracks aren't in perfect sync. The Cubase manuals say that this doesn't need configuring. Cubase says that the sync comes from the EWS. Any ideas? Would a faster motherboard help?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Werner_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 28th, 2002
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Eduk,

    a reason for this problem could be your choosen value for the 'Preroll Time' of Cubase. Further information to this you'll find at my homepage at:
    http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/main34.html#ews64cub07

    Regards,
    Werner

  10. #10
    Eduk
    Guest Eduk's Avatar

    Post

    I'll have a careful read through your homepage. I looked through it before but I was into a different set of problems at the time. What I did do was set polling mode which has improved things; maybe I just need to adjust preroll. The EWS is still a complicated beast, as is Cubase, but at the moment I am still amazed by the depth of the facilities. Yes, I'd also like to see this forum come back to life; it's been very useful to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •